Going green in home building is all the rage these days. However, some people are discouraged by the high cost sometimes associated with green technology. So, why should you consider making green choices when buying a new home or remodeling an existing house?
- Increase your home’s value. Because so many people believe in going green, implementing green technology into your house can make your home more desirable and valuable when you put it on the market.
- Save money by using less energy. Although the initial cost of green choices might be high, it can pay off in the long run. Choosing to buy Energy Star appliances or install solar panels cuts down on utility costs and will benefit future homeowners.
- Help preserve the Earth and its resources. Using green materials is a smart choice for any homeowner that’s conscious of preserving the environment.
- Create a compost bin with leftover food and waste. You can safely compost the following: coffee grounds and filters, nut shells, fruits and vegetables, egg shells, grass clippings, leaves, newspapers and fireplace ashes.
- Switch your regular lightbulbs to CFLs.
- Use more natural light (and less energy) by opening blinds and curtains during the day.
- Turn off appliances when not in use — particularly computers and televisions.
- Assess your energy usage through this DIY energy audit.
- Use less water by cutting down on shower time and doing laundry only a few times per week.
- Start recycling bins for cardboard, glass, tin cans, etc. and find a recycling center in your area.
What have you done to “go green” in your home? We proudly offer Energy Star appliances and Ecostar windows, among other features, in our newly built homes.